Monday, August 4, 2008

The First Date

It took Andy a little while, but he managed to muster up the courage to ask me out. He came in one night under the guise that he needed to make copies for a school project. He wasn't working, I was.
He came over to say hello and another girl (let's call her J) was there with me. We chit chatted for a while and he talked about his school project. I remember he had a history book with him.

Then, when there was a lull in the conversation, he came out with it. He asked, "So, do you want to go fishing sometime?"

Now, if you know much about me, you know that I am not so much of a great outdoors kind of girl. I'm especially not a great outdoors activity kind of girl. It didn't occur to me what Andy was trying to do. All I could think about was worms and slimy scaly fish and why on earth would I want to do an activity that involved those two things? So I replied, "Fishing?! Why would I want to go fishing?!"

At that, Andy became visibly nervous and probably started to sweat a little bit. He began to stammer and even turned to J and said, "Tell her she needs to go fishing with me." J also had not caught on to what was going on, and knowing me as she did, she also queried why I would want to go fishing.

Lucky for Andy, I have super deductive skills and they lead me to believe that he might just be asking me out on a date. So I threw the boy a bone and suggested that we just go out to a movie or dinner sometime, and explained that I'm not so much into fishing. He said that was a good idea, but we never actually set a date. I guess he was so horrified at how not smooth he appeared that he just left after he got a yes.

It took us about a month to get a time nailed down and we went on our first date on St Patrick's Day. We were both working so we just went out for ice cream after work that night. We went to I Can't Believe it's Yogurt and he had chocolate-vanilla swirl and I had just chocolate with Oreo crumbles. Andy wasn't wearing green. He swears he was, but he was not. He was wearing an over sized long sleeved t-shirt that was navy blue. Those days Andy's wardrobe consisted of blue, gray, white, and blue jean. This is how I'm sure he was not wearing green, not just because that night is etched into my memory forever.

We ended our night with a hug and said goodbye, and I thought to myself that I would definitely see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment