Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And suddenly I'm free

It seems like our summer has been packed with an unending list of appointments. We've had lots to do, places to go, people to see. It's funny to me because I don't remember a summer that was so full of plans. Summer has always been a lazy time of year. And I've always enjoyed that. And this upcoming weekend was packed out in keeping with the trend.

We didn't have anything set in stone, but at some point we were going to have Andy's parents up for a visit (Jack & Kathie, if you are reading this don't think you aren't still welcome this weekend. You can come entertain just me if you would like) and then we were going to be entertaining Julie and Frank who were going to be staying in the area for a while. But now, as hump day is half over, I find myself starting down the barrel of what's left of the week into a very empty and plan free weekend.

Andy got a call from Trevor asking if he could play in the member-guest golf tournament this weekend at his country club. The words "for free" came into play and Andy was totally up to the challenge. Free golf Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Hell yes, he said. Not to mention all the other free shenanigans that go on there. You see, Andy played in this same tournament last year, but seeing as how he hasn't picked up a golf club since then, when Trevor originally asked him this year Andy declined and encouraged Trevor to find someone who would be a better partner. Enter Brent. Another friend in their large circle. Brent paid his entry fee and was all ready to go for this weekend. Enter Brent's appendix. All this adds up to Andy's free golf weekend and Joanna's golf widow weekend.

But all was not lost. Julie and Frank were still going to be here and if nothing else they could have dinner with us on Sunday night after Andy got home, right? Enter Julie's poor daddy, Philip. You see, Philip is a very handy man and at the moment he is using his handy man skills to build himself a new house. Last night while he was working on said house he somehow managed to seriously injure his right hand. I don't know the full details of the accident, but his hand got caught in something resulting in two broken bones and a large portion of skin being pealed back. Yeouch!

Philip is going to be ok (thank goodness!!), but now Julie is committed to taking care of her poor dad in his time of need. He lives alone and, since he only has one functioning hand at the moment, can't fend for himself. So his loving daughter has brought him to live with her for a week and a half. But as you can imagine this has put a damper on her and Frank's plans to visit the fair western part of our state this weekend. She is doing everything she can to keep their little vacation in tact and provide Philip with the care he needs. But things aren't looking good.

The last two weekends have been plan free as well, but I don't remember the last time I had three (count them three!!!) free weekends. Whatever will I do with myself? I'm kind of sad though. Especially since the other busy weekends have involved us traveling and this one had us staying at home the whole time. That is a rarity for us.

For now it's just me and my bunny this weekend (and four taxidermed deer, which is another post entirely), unless someone would like to volunteer to keep me company.

And for the stalkers out there who would think to come take advantage of me in my vulnerable state, keep in mind that I live with a viscous attack bunny. Have you ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Yeah... like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment