Friday, June 12, 2009

Photogenic Friday: Back to the beginning

This is a picture of the track where I started the C25K program almost a year ago. This evening Andy and I went for a walk around it.
The track is surrounded by mountains. It's also covered with rubber which is a big plus for anyone's joints, but especially right now for my newly mended ankle.


These are my feet on the track. My feet in flip flops, an ankle brace and freshly painted toenail. Why flip flops? Well, there a a couple of reasons. First, I haven't worn proper shoes yet and I didn't know how my foot and ankle would handle it. Also, I wasn't trying to win any races. I just wanted to make a lap or two. Plus, I had just painted my toenails. Have you seen the havoc socks can cause to new toenail paint? I wasn't going to risk it.


I walked a half mile tonight. I'm exhausted, but it's a good exhausted. My calf has a long way to go. I'm chomping at the bit to start running again. I plan on completely re-doing the C25K program. I don't have unrealistic expectations for my ankle. I know it's going to take time to get my pace back. I asked Andy tonight if he thought I'd be able to start C25K eleven days from now. June 23rd, when I started it before. He's a naysayer, but I'm going to do what I can to try and get to that point. If I have to alternate jogging 60 seconds with walking 90 for three weeks then that's just what I have to do.

But I won't give up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! It sounds like your recovery is coming along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great to be up and walking so quickly! It is very inspiring to hear how motivated you are about the C25K - good for you! Can't wait to hear about your progress.

    ReplyDelete