Sunday, May 2, 2010

Next time I'll listen to my instincts...

Yesterday I decided I wanted to go for a hike, but we had too much to do so we put it off until today.

Then this afternoon Andy drove me to a new (to me) hiking spot that has a water fall.

Pretty isn't it?


Some people like to jump off the rocks into the pool below. And when I say "some people" I mean crazy college students.

We spent a little time admiring the falls because they are at the beginning of the trail and then we started to walk.

It was nice. The trees offered a lot of shade and we've had a substantial wind up here all weekend, so though it was hot it wasn't unbearable.

I took a few pictures along the trail.

Right after I took this picture...

we came to a fork in the trail. One part of it went up and was clearly the path that was traveled more often. The other went down towards the river at the bottom of the falls. Andy wanted to go down to the river and in the spirit of "taking the road less traveled" I went with him. Though I expressed some concerns about going that way. It was very steep and there were a lot of dead leaves on the bath. Plenty of opportunities to fall down. I like to hike and be active but I tend to be slow and very cautious because of how I broke my ankle once and I DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!

But Andy wanted to go to the river and I wanted to oblige him.

We had just gotten down the really steep part and were walking on the dead leaves and I said, "This just looks like an accident waiting to happen."

Five more steps and I slipped and fell onto a tree root. It hurt and I wanted to cry. I sucked it up and didn't, but I was done hiking.

We spent a few more minutes at the top of the falls and then came back home.

Now I have a lovely GIGANTIC bruise on my posterior.

How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! I have to be careful hiking too...My problem is I'm not graceful AT ALL!!
    the pictures are pretty!
    get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! Sounds like a lot of my hiking experiences! Once in high school I was hiking with a BF and had just laughed at him for tripping over a tree root when I tripped myself and took a tumble down the hill. Let me just say that more than my pride was hurt that day!

    Those waterfalls are gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete