Monday, June 23, 2008

The lost weekend...

This weekend flew by so quickly. And there was so much jam packed into it, I feel like I need another weekend to recover. I have felt like that a lot lately. Thankfully, as far as we can tell, this is the last hectic weekend that we'll have in at least the next month or two. Finally, our lives are our own again.

That isn't to say that we didn't have a good time this weekend.

Friday and Saturday we spent all of our time getting ready for Terry's surprise 50th birthday party. The party was Saturday at 5. I really had a lot of fun planning it, and I think Terry was really excited and kind of flabbergasted that we did this for him. It was a good day. The weather stressed me out a bit. The forecast was calling for thunderstorms in the afternoon. Of course it held off all day until about 15 minutes before we were supposed to leave to go to the park. Did I mention the party was outside? Oh, yeah, it was. But skies looked clear over towards the park, so we set out. Andy went to get ice and I drove to the park. When I got there the one and only shelter was occupied. It wasn't raining, but the skies didn't look promising. That is when my near meltdown happened. But then I realized (ok, I asked) that the party was leaving. Perfect timing! So everyone got there. The birthday boy was surprised and delighted and he even wore his "Looking Good At 50!" hat that I made. It did rain, but the wind wasn't blowing so we were safe under the shelter. And the rain stopped just in time for us to load up the car and go home. Now I have six months to plan something for my mother. I'll post some pictures later. Keep your eyes peeled.

Sunday I woke up and felt like I had been run over by a steam roller. I don't remember the last time my body ached all over like that. It was supposed to be the first day of C25K for Andy and I, but we postponed considering that I couldn't move. I guess I just haven't been on my feet that much lately. But even my arms and back hurt. I'm feeling much better, thank goodness. Much thanks to my wonderful husband (remember him?) for rubbing my aching muscles for about an hour last night. I'm still thinking of how to repay him for this weekend.

That afternoon we went to Lenoir and had lunch with Andy's grandmama and dad. It was a nice lunch and really good to see her. We don't get down there enough. She invited us to call her anytime for Sunday lunch, but I'm afraid we won't be able to go down too often. With the high cost of gas we're hoping to hang around at home for a while. We've driven so much lately and we would like to just stay put for a while. Maybe we can go down once a month. We should probably try to do that until the ski season starts because once the mountain opens Andy belongs to Alpine and he won't be going anywhere for a while. Anyway, it was an enjoyable afternoon and we hope to go back again soon.

Although, I could have done without knowing that Penny's ashes were sitting on the hearth. Penny is Grandmama's dachshund that had to be put down. There she was in her little box, with he leash on top. Grandmama said she had planned on scattering Penny's ashes in the back yard, but then the box came all nice and sealed up so she just put her there on the hearth. I don't know if I would have opened the sealed box either, but all the same, I would have been fine not knowing what was really in there...

Andy is taking PTO from work this week. He is working instead with another Alpine employee in his landscaping business to make some extra money. I think he's looking forward to it. It won't be an extremely restful week off from work, but at least he can get away from the shop for a while. It's been crazy lately with so many people resigning and new people coming on staff. I know it will be a welcome break from the world of Alpine.

And tonight (hopefully) we will start C25K!! We are going to get our lazy butts in gear if it kills us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment