Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Leaf vase how-to

I made this smaller centerpiece as an extra to use at the shower. It worked out perfectly because the chandelier over the food table was too low for the big centerpiece.

This is one of my favorite ways to decorate!

First you need two cylindrical vases



Clearly, the small one is much shorter so you need some way to prop it up so the tops of the two vases are almost level

I had some floral foam scraps lying around so I trimmed them to fit and then used a toothpick to hold the pieces together.


Place the smaller vase inside the larger one. Now it's time to fill it up.


I didn't get a picture of the filling process because I needed both my hands.

Basically just get some fake fall leaves in various colors/sized and fill in the crack between the two vases. I filled in about half way up before I put the smaller vase back in the larger one, then filled around it.

It takes a little time and effort to make the leaves look right, but I probably spent a total of 10 minutes on this project.

When you're done this is the result:

You'd never know there was a smaller vase inside!

Fill the bud vase with the flowers of your choice. I got these mums out of the clearance bucket at the local grocery store. Yes! They are real!


I have also done this with candy corn. Just pour the candy corn (or any small candy - m&m's would work great) into the bottom of the larger vase to hold up the smaller one. Then fill in as needed.

Like I said, this is one of my favorite fall decorations and the possibilities are endless for the holidays. I think I'll do it with candy hearts for Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment