Friday, October 22, 2010

Rocky Mounatin High

Ok guys, I'm postponing my usual "Photogenic Friday" post because I've been waiting two months to post this and I finally can, so I'm not waiting any longer.

It's no secret that there is something going on in my life right now. I think that was pretty clear when I posted about us moving and managed to give no real reason why. It was vague and annoying. And I hate it when a blogger posts something like that and is all "Hey things are happening, but I can't say what" and then they just continue posting like nothing ever happened until one day, Bam! they just lay one on you and you've forgotten all about the "Big Vague Announcement." Yeah, that's a big pet peeve of mine, so in order to avoid that I made my "Big Vague Announcement" and promptly fell off the face of the earth. I'm sorry. Really I am, but this is so big, and I couldn't just pretend like nothing was going on. My sincerest apologies.

But now I'm back and I'm ready to revel all. OH! MY! GOSH! I've written and rewritten this post so many times in my head and I don't even know how it should go anymore, so I'm just going to go ahead and give you the BIG part and you can let it soak in while I tell you the story to how it all came about. Ok? Ok.

Here goes...

WE'RE MOVING TO COLORADO!!!!!!!

Oh. Em. Gee. I can't believe I finally typed that sentence. We're moving. To. Colorado.

Wow.

So, the how and they why. The best thing to do is to start at the beginning, which is three years ago, and I promise to make this as brief as possible, because this is not a short story I'm about to tell.

The whole thing actually started further back than three years. It started when Andy and I got engaged. We wanted a change and we were planning a big move out west when we got married. Except the stress and financial demands of planning a wedding got in the way, so we postponed the move. We said we'd do it in a year or two.

Then we got married and commenced living happily ever after. We started planning the move. Denver, CO was the destination and we even took a trip out there to look at apartments. The plan was to move right around our first anniversary. So what happened?

Andy got a promotion. He'd been working in this ski shop since college and suddenly there was a full time, year round position open and they wanted him. It was really a wonderful opportunity and it just fell into his lap. That's not something that happens every day and we both knew he needed to take it, because turning it down to move across the country with no jobs and no real plan would have been stupid.

Fast forward three years to this past August. One night Andy and I had a discussion about our future. We have this same talk all the time and it seems like we've been going in circles for two years now. The problem is this: Andy and I have plans. We want to buy a house and have a kid or two and it just didn't seem like we were ever going to be able to achieve either of those where we were. I haven't had a job for a year and a half and while Andy's company has been great, there isn't a lot of room for advancement. There is one more big step that he could make and that's it.

So we were talking about the possibility of trying to make it in the NC mountains (which we have grown to love so much) or picking up and moving. Where, we werent' sure, but I was bound and determined for this conversation to be fruitful, so I kept pushing until Andy finally came out with it. He really loves the ski industry and he wants to stay in it, but there aren't a lot of opportunities in the East for that kind of career. So I just threw out there that we had once been gung ho about moving and maybe we should revisit that possibility again.

And here's the thing. The season is getting geared up and when we started talking about this possible move we were talking in terms of the next year. Because who would have a job opening in the ski industry this close to "go time?" So we went to bed that night with the understanding that we might need to move away from our beloved Blue Ridge, but not for a little while longer.

The next day (Monday) at lunch time Andy came home and told me he had actually found a job opening, actually several job openings with this large company based in Colorado. He decided to send in his resume. What could it hurt?

By Wednesday he was setting up a phone interview for Friday, and by the end of that interview he had a promise of another interview with someone else.

So now, after two months, three phone interviews, one Skype interview, and a whole roller coaster of other things, we're going. He has a job and we're going.

That is the reader's digest version. I can't possibly begin to tell all the details.

I can tell you that I will be staying behind for a few months, at least. This all happened a lot faster than we had expected and since I'm still in the middle of an insurance settlement for an accident that happened in NC, we decided it would be best for me to stay behind and tie up all those loose ends.

But y'all, I am beyond excited. I'm also completely shocked that it's finally happening.

It's exciting and invigorating and completely scary. We're picking up our lives and leaving our friends and family and moving to Colorado!

It's crazy, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment