Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gratitude, Day 12

If you read back in my archives (or you're one of the faithful few who have been following this blog) you'll know that back in the summer I started the C25K running program. I have never been a runner, but this seemed to be the quickest and cheapest way to physical fitness, so I sucked it up and started running.

Guess what? I love it.

Granted, I still have moments (sometimes weeks long) that I'd rather just sit on the couch and watch "Friends" reruns, but I have stuck with it. Longer than I've ever stuck with any exercise program that wasn't part of my course credit hours. Running is invigorating and it gives me so much more energy.

But I'm not grateful for running, no, that would be silly. What I'm grateful for is the tiny little electronic device that lives in my jacket pocket while I run. My ipod. It's fantastic.

I've never been a gadget person and didn't own any type of MP3 player before I got my ipod nano back in August. If I hadn't started running I would still not have anything like this. But it has been my savior on days when I just want to stop running, finish the lap in a walk and then drive back to my couch. My soft leather couch calls my name while I'm out there pounding the pavement, and the only thing that keeps me going is the music blaring from my earbuds. If I had nothing to listen to but my own labored breathing I would have given up this running business a long time ago.

So thank you Apple people for making this amazing little device. Technology has come a long way since the Walkman, and I really appreciate all your hard work. I'm sure you appreciate all my money too, but we won't go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment