Thursday, January 1, 2009

The resolution

How has this new year been to you all so far? I can't complain. I've had a busy, tiring day, but I did manage to prove someone wrong today and I do so enjoy being right. (By the way, don't ever tell me I can't install a doorknob because I'm a girl. You might find yourself eating crow and being forced to face my awesomeness every time you open the door with that knob. But, that's another story, for another day.)

Last night was blissfully laid back. I could spend every New Years Eve like the one last night. I lounged in my pajamas drinking cocktails and watching When Harry Met Sally. Then Andy and I opened the curtains to our big picture window and watched the fireworks display on the ski slope while Dick Clark counted down to the new year in the background. I couldn't have asked for a better night. It was perfect.

I've been swishing around the idea of a resolution in my head today. I'm not big on resolutions. I feel like new years resolutions are a plot to make people force unpleasant things on themselves. Carrying out a resolution is usually difficult and causes unnecessary stress when you don't hold up your end of the bargain. I think if you resolve to do something it should be spontaneous and not forced upon you by society's standards. Why don't we have half year resolutions? Why do we always have to make them on January 1? Also, if you do manage to stick to this promise you make shouldn't you get something out of it? Shouldn't there be some kind of gratification to go along with all the self sacrifice? As you can see, I haven't gotten very far in convincing myself to make a resolution.

Then I found this, or rather it was pointed out to me by Whoorl. What a great idea! After having gratitude month in November I felt so blessed to be me. It has kind of stuck with me all the month of December and for once the grass hasn't been greener somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things I'd still like to see/do/experience in the future, but I've managed to not dwell on the whens and focus more on the nows. So I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. I'm making a resolution. For 365 days I'm going to find five things every day that I'm grateful for and I'm going to post them. It's possible that I'll make another blog to post them in, just so I don't clutter this one up too much, but I'll keep you posted on how that develops.

Everyone else feel free to join in. You don't have to share it with the world in a blog. Go get yourself a notebook and keep it all to yourself. The point is to make you happier, not everyone else.

So here we go! Day 1:

  1. Ice cold water right after I brush my teeth
  2. An evening curled up on the couch with Andy
  3. Flannel pajama bottoms
  4. Mocha Lattes
  5. Filling up my car for less than $30

No comments:

Post a Comment