Monday, December 20, 2010

Dreams really do come true

I was going to write today about all the snow we've been getting, and how much I'm loving it. I was also going to make fun of my mother because I talked to her a few days ago about the uncharacteristic, extreme weather the whole state of North Carolina was slammed with last week and she said to me, "I'm just ready for it to be spring already.", and I laughed at her because winter doesn't even officially start until tomorrow. 

I was going to write about all those things until I had a phone conversations with Julie this morning.


First she told me that she was in the wine section at the grocery store today and for whatever reason she suddenly realized how much she missed me and broke down into tears. Then a woman approached her and asked if she was ok and if she needed to get help for her problem with alcohol. I'm sorry she's sad and I miss her too, but hahahahahahahaha. You can't make that kind of stuff up, and if you knew Julie, you'd know that something like that could only happen to her.

But, again, that isn't the point of this post. The point is that a little later in our conversation I was telling her about how I had taken a nice long walk on main street yesterday in the snow and really enjoying myself until the wind changed and the flakes started smacking me in the face. So, I crossed the street and changed directions to come back home and along the way I passed the town square. It isn't really a town square, it's the Frisco historical park that serves as the town square. It has a gazebo in the center of it with a gigantic Christmas tree and a full on, red sleigh in the center for Santa to sit in when he visits town. There is also a painting of carolers with the faces cut out so you can stand behind it and take pictures. And, of course, the whole thing is covered in a thick blanket of snow right now. It's very picturesque and I've been wanting to take a picture for a while now, which is what I was telling Julie, except some people had just walked into the gazebo yesterday when I was walking by, and I didn't want to be that creepy stranger taking their picture, so I just kept on walking.

That was the end of my story and as soon as I finished, Julie blurted, "You live in Star's Hollow!"

Which is the point of this post.

OH MY GOSH! I DO LIVE IN STAR'S HOLLOW!

In case you don't know what that is, it's the picture perfect, story book town that is the setting for the television show, The Gilmore Girls, with which Julie and I have an unhealthy obsession. The town has all kinds of festivals (one for every month), there is a large gazebo in the middle of town and it's in Connecticut so it snows a lot there. 

For years now Julie and I have both fantasized about how we'd like to live in a town like Star's Hollow, and here I am. I didn't even realize it until she pointed it out, but I'm living the dream, baby.

I talked to Andy and told him what she said and he even agreed, except he said our town  has more bars, which is certainly true. People here are all about the micro brew. We are certainly not in the Bible belt anymore.

So that's what I wanted to tell you. Dreams really do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment