Sunday, December 26, 2010

On the first day of Christmas

There is something I need to clear up. Christmas DID NOT end yesterday.

The religious studies major in me can't keep quiet any longer. For the last twelve days I've seen a great many "countdowns" to Christmas. I've tried to hold my tongue because I don't want to be "that guy" that spoils everyone's fun. But someone please answer me this: if the twelve days of Christmas is the twelve days leading up to December 25th, then what is the point of the Advent, which takes place in the first twenty five days of December? Why have two countdowns that overlap each other?

Don't know? I'll answer for you. The twelve days of Christmas are the twelve days AFTER December 25th. They are celebrated as the days between Jesus' birth and they day the three kings (or wise men) arrived to bestow their gifts on the wee babe. That day is called Epiphany and is celebrated on January 6th.

It's true! I promise! Read all about it here.

Whew, I feel better now that I've got that off my chest.

My decorations will be staying up until January 7th.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment