Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Here We Go A Wassaling

I think I'm going to try to name every new post after a holiday carol until Christmas. Thoughts?

Things have gotten better. I'm trying to make a real effort to embrace Colorado and our time here, however long that may be. I wanted to move here, after all, so I'm just going to have to pick myself up by the bootstraps and get on with life. Being down in the dumps is just not who I am.

Part of the problem has been that I haven't really been sharing with Andy that I've been sad. One of his biggest concerns before we moved was that I would get here and hate it. In which case he would feel responsible because we moved here for a job opportunity for him. That isn't the only reason we moved, of course. There were reasons that fulled him even looking for jobs out of state, but ultimately, we weren't going to move without a guaranteed income. So I just haven't told him because I did want to make him feel responsible for how I was feeling.

But Friday, after I wrote it all down for the world to see (Andy reads this blog, but only occasionally and he reads a lot at once, so he wouldn't have seen that post yet), I decided to share a little bit of what was going on inside my head. And I felt better. He understands and he's been making more of an effort to do things with me or get me out of the apartment more, even if it's just for a few minutes at a time.

Julie sent me some fun socks & I wore them Friday to make myself feel better


Friday, Andy took a half day off work and we went out to run some errands. We opened a bank account here and serviced the truck and went to Walmart. Oh, Walmart. I have a Target now that is five minutes away and I still can't get away from Walmart. But that's alright, we found a teeny, tiny Christmas tree that is just the right size for all the extra space we don't have in this apartment. I've been working feverishly since Saturday on decorations and hopefully I'll finish today. Photo's forthcoming when it's all complete.

Andy took me to Smashburger for late lunch/dinner. It's one of our new favorites

Also, Friday night was the kick off to Frisco's Wassail Days! When we first learned about this potential move and I started looking at the area online I found the Wassail Days festival and I've been looking forward to it ever since. Basically, the whole thing is an effort to boost the economy in Frisco, specifically that of the main street that is filled with local retailers and restaurants. Each participating shop (which is nearly every one) makes their own special brew of Wassail and keeps it available to try for the whole week of the festival. Customers vote on which Wassail they think is the best and the winner get a trophy and bragging rights. It's silly an fun and there are other events going on in town all week. This Saturday, as part of the festival they are having a fund raising carol singing event in which all the proceeds go to a local charity.

I love that my town has something like this. It's pretty much right up my alley.

Anyway, Andy and I got out on Main street Friday night and walked around with all the other crazies who were out in twenty degree temperatures. We didn't try a whole lot of Wassail because Andy doesn't like it and after about the second cup I had to pee really bad. (That may be an over share, but it's the truth) We did get to see a little more of the town, it seems like we find a new place every time we venture out, and we went into a few shops we hadn't visited yet. I had fun. I'm not sure Andy had fun, but he enjoyed watching me get excited. Like a little school girl. I would be embarrassed if I didn't think the festival was so great.

 A t-shirt in one of the shops. It tickled my funny bone

Sipping Wassail (Andy bought me a mug)

 This thing was real
(PS to my Mom. This shop also has real bear rugs)


Like I said, Saturday & Sunday I made decorations. I surrounded myself with Christmas spirit, either listening to holiday music or playing movies and I made some candied pecans that were so much better than I thought they'd be. A definite make again recipe.

Yum!

On Sunday Andy surprised me by taking off another half day (he had a conference this week & didn't really get a day off, so he's been taking time where he can get it) and he obliged me by walking up and down main street again in search of fabled carol singers that we never found. We did get to try a new restaurant though, so all-in-all I'd call it a success.
 
 I can't remember this mountain's name, but it's gigantic. You have to crane your neck to see the top

 Walking back home at dusk.


Oh! When we signed up for our new bank account we got to pick out a "reward" and we got a flip video camera. It came in the mail yesterday, so expect some videos in the future!

Also, a reminder about Christmas cards. I ordered them last night, so if you want to receive one shoot me an e-mail: plannedspontaneity1@gmail.com. They are super cute this year, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. You'll have to share the pecan recipe. They look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete