Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The blizzard is here

It arrived late last night. I'm not sure how much snow has fallen because it's all been blown around so much. How can you measure that?

The wind is blowing so hard this is what it looks like inside our storm door.


Yeah.

So I'm staying in my pajamas today (until tonight when we go out for the old person's potluck).

This morning I made cinnamon rolls for us to enjoy. It seemed like an appropriate blizzard day breakfast.

I haven't made a tube of cinnamon rolls in years. Because I like to bake so much and have a serious love affair with yeast I usually make my cinnamon rolls from scratch. For some reason earlier this week though, I was overcome with nostalgia for the cinnamon rolls of my childhood.

And I bought two tubes.

When I was a little girl we ate a lot of cinnamon rolls. It was something easy and delicious and on weekends cinnamon rolls were just the ticket!

There is nothing like the smell of fresh baked cinnamon rolls on a Saturday morning. Or any morning really. It makes me feel like a little girl again.

My brother and I used to fight over who got the one in the center of the pan. Because everyone knows that the one in the center is the best. All the icing melts down and puddles around the roll in the center. It's heaven.


So now that I'm an adult I've gotten over that and realized that the icing isn't the only good thing about cinnamon rolls. Right?

Who am I kidding? Of course the icing is the best part.

So, this morning,  I iced our rolls with the tittle tub that came with the package.

Then I whipped up some extra and suffocated them with icing. And Andy always lets me have the one in the center. Because he loves me. (Or because I whine about wanting the one in the center, either way.)

Bliss.


If you want some extra icing for your cinnamon rolls this is what you need:


3 oz pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/2 stick unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup powdered sugar

Beat until well combined.


These are the bare necessities. You can also add in some vanilla extract or maple flavoring or even a little orange zest. Go crazy. Also, this makes enough icing for two cans (maybe even three) of cinnamon rolls. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment