Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A near miss

I promised that I would give you an explanation of how The Hulk and I almost got into an accident. Complete with diagrams. That time has finally come. I know you were just bursting with anticipation.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here is a refresher:

Last week Julie and I went out for pizza at the world's greatest pizza place and in the parking lot someone almost hit us.

That's about all I've said about it, so here is the rest of the story.

As I was pulling into the parking lot a white sedan came up behind me pretty fast. It was following closer than I perfer, but I was about to park, so whatever.

Here is a helpful visual aid so you can understand the parking lot layout:

 

As you can see the parking lot was pretty full and I picked the first space I came to.The Hulk is a beast and can't just whip into a parking space. He needs room to get it right. So I swung out to my left so that I could get The Hulk straight in my spot.

I'm not sure what little miss (it was a female driver) white sedan thought I was doing, but as I swung to the left she proceeded to pass me! On the right!

What the hell?

She came within inches of hitting The Hulk because I didn't realize what she was doing until I had already started to swing back to the right. You know, to park. Since I was in a a parking lot. 

Visual aid number two:

At first I thought she was trying to swerve around me to get into the space first. But why on Earth would she want to do that? There were plenty of other spaces.

I clearly had her blocked, but I couldn't park until she got out of the way and after a few seconds she did finally back up and let me park.Then she zipped past me driving entirely too fast and went to the pharmacy at the other end of the parking lot.

Ok, first, if she was in that much of a hurry to get to the pharmacy shouldn't she just have gone to the hospital? That's what my doctor's office answering service says to do if you're having a medical emergency. Common sense people.

Second, what could I possibly have done differently? The lanes in the parking lot aren't really wide enough for two cars, so it's beyond me how she could think I was pulling over (in a parking lot!!!) to let her pass.

Should I have signaled? I've never signaled to park unless I was letting oncoming traffic know I had already claimed a space.

I think it was doomed from the start. But Julie and I were both ticked. Her because, as I already said, what the hell? And also because it would have been her side that would have been hit. Me because The Hulk and I have formed a bond and I'd be upset if something happened to it. And because, what the hell? (I really can't say that enough.)

In the end it was all fine and we had a good laugh at her stupidity. We also had a good laugh at the fact that The Hulk is a freakin' beast and if she had hit us she likely would have done serious damage to her car and The Hulk would have driven away in much the same condition as it had been before.

So there little miss white sedan!

1 comment:

  1. I loved you story & the visual aids!!!!! Excellent! You said the H word to much. But what can I say you almost had another wreck.

    ReplyDelete