Thursday, March 12, 2009

In case you wanted to know

You know how people talk about adrenaline and how getting an adrenaline rush is so awesome and makes you so much stronger? And exercising gives you adrenaline rushes?

This is all true. However, what they don't tell you is that the adrenaline rush comes after the exercise happens and during the actual activity you just want to die, or throw up, whichever comes first. It's great afterwards because you make it through and you didn't do any of those things.

But during? Whoa boy! You body starts to revolt against you and your muscles start screaming out, "What are you doing you crazy bitch? We'd like to make it to our 27th year! Stop this business right now!" But you don't stop because you know better than your muscles and you know you're making them stronger and in the long run they'll thank you. But they still manage to exact their revenge. Oh yes, just wait until the next day when you're feeling all gratified from your workout. Then you take that first step out of bed and instantly collapse onto the floor because your muscles are refusing to hold you up. Who had the last word?

Now, none of this is meant to discourage any of you who'd like to take up running. If you talked to me on any other day I'd tell you that if I can do it you totally can too and you should find some running shoes and a track post haste!

Also, as I said before, after the workout I feel much better. I even feel energetic and like I could have gone another mile or so. And I fully intend to keep this cycle up. The next time I go running I'll be all pumped up and ready for that adrenaline high again, until I actually start to run, then I'll remember the pain again.

I always forget the pain when it's gone and only seem to remember the gratification that comes after. I've heard the same thing said about natural unmedicated childbirth, but I don't know personally and I don't plan on finding out any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment