Monday, March 9, 2009

Just in time for a cold front

We had another beautiful day today, so I finally made myself get out and start running again. I haven't been for about three months. It turns out that the runner side of my personality gets overshadowed by the lazy, whiny side when the temperature falls much below 40. If my inner runner makes any suggestions about exercise the lazy in me takes out a mallet and beats that crazy talk out of my head.

Of course it doesn't help that there is perpetual wind up here on my mountain. It's really lovely on those hot days of summer (the few), but when it's already freezing outside the wind makes it feel five or ten degrees lower than it actually is. So I've allowed myself a while to be a sloth.

I actually had a great workout. My pace hasn't slowed and I didn't have any trouble with breathing or cramping. After I cooled down I even felt like I could run some more. I didn't because I don't want to over do it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

I used one of my Christmas presents for the first time during my run today. My in-laws bought me the nike+ system that works with my ipod to monitor my progress with running. It's every bit as cool as I thought and I think it's going to help motivate me. I'll be better able to track my progress so I'm thinking my competitive side will come out and force me to push harder.

I'm not too sore, but I do need to do some stretching to make sure I stay that way. And of course they're calling for a cold snap and some winter weather starting Wednesday/Thursday and going into next week. I'm gonna have to ignore my lazy self so I won't lose momentum. Any words of encouragement are welcome.

So after two nights of pilates and running this afternoon I promptly went to the grocery and picked up a frozen pizza and a soft drink. At least I have my priorities in order, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment